[Cisl-comunidade] Moving a city to Linux needs political backing, says Munich project leader

Andre Felipe Machado andre.machado em serpro.gov.br
Sexta Dezembro 27 09:29:37 BRST 2013

Continued political backing was key to the success of the migration, said Hofmann.”We had it from the start and it never failed. We had to treat our politicians as stakeholders and keep them informed,” he said.By
 doing this, the politicians never lost interest and always knew what
the people involved in the project were doing, he said. “I saw a lot of
other open source projects going down the sink,” because they didn’t
have that backing, or lost it, he said.....

The Munich city authority
migrated around 14,800 of the 15,000 or so PCs on its network to LiMux,
its own Linux distribution based on Ubuntu, exceeding its initial goal
of migrating 12,000 desktops....

However, there were several delays along the way.First,
 the migration started a year later than originally planned, said
Hofmann. The second delay was caused in 2007 when the city council
decided that Munich’s IT department should also be responsible for the
standardization of the infrastructure that is necessary for Linux
clients, he said. ...

The project was delayed
for a third time in 2010, when the city council decided to enlarge the
project, said Hofmann. Goals were added to develop three additional
processes within the project: risk management, test management and
requirement engineering.

The heterogenous
infrastructure of Munich’s IT organization was one of the projects
biggest problems, Hofmann said. When the project started there were 22
organizations that each had their own individual configuration,
software, hardware, processes and knowledge for their Windows clients
and the accompanying infrastructure they were using, he said

Munich’s switch did save
money though. In November 2012, responding to a question from a council
member, the city calculated that migrating to LiMux instead of
modernizing its existing Microsoft software would save it over €11 million.

”It never was
our goal to eliminate Windows as a whole,” he said, although the city
has gone well beyond its initial target of migrating 80 percent of its
PCs.The financial department, for instance,
still has three Windows PCs running special banking software. To switch
that department to LiMux the city would have had to pay the software
vendor to develop a Linux version of its application for the three PCs,
Hofmann said.

Leia notícia completa com detalhes em:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082460/moving-a-city-to-linux-needs-political-backing-says-munich-project-leader.html

--
André Felipe Machado

CEAGO/COTSC/COSTE
As Lou Gerstner, former Chairman
and CEO of IBM, observed: 'I came to see, in my time at IBM that culture
 isn’t just one aspect of the game; it *IS* the game.'

-

"Esta mensagem do SERVIÇO FEDERAL DE PROCESSAMENTO DE DADOS (SERPRO), empresa pública federal regida pelo disposto na Lei Federal nº 5.615, é enviada exclusivamente a seu destinatário e pode conter informações confidenciais, protegidas por sigilo profissional. Sua utilização desautorizada é ilegal e sujeita o infrator às penas da lei. Se você a recebeu indevidamente, queira, por gentileza, reenviá-la ao emitente, esclarecendo o equívoco."

"This message from SERVIÇO FEDERAL DE PROCESSAMENTO DE DADOS (SERPRO) -- a government company established under Brazilian law (5.615/70) -- is directed exclusively to its addressee and may contain confidential data, protected under professional secrecy rules. Its unauthorized use is illegal and may subject the transgressor to the law's penalties. If you're not the addressee, please send it back, elucidating the failure."