[feature-proposal] Forgot password improvements

Caio Tiago Oliveira caiotiago at colivre.coop.br
Wed Nov 13 11:41:43 BRST 2013

On 11/13/2013 10:13 AM, Ewout ter Haar wrote:
> My problem and the reason for my disappointment  is what happened
> next. The affirmation of an opinion disguised as a technical
> issue. Using terms as "brute force", "privacy destroying", "Nope"
> (you wouldn't understand, leave the technical matters to us,
> computer scientists), "No, it won't". Everybody so sure of
> themselves...

This list is called noosfero-dev for a reason. No, it is not related
to any kind of meritocracy. If you don't understand something, it
doesn't mean it is not relevant.

> And then, when pressed to make explicit their thread model, it
> turns out that it involves the generation of fake users, with a
> very small probability of there even existing a vulnerable user!

The only way to avoid fake users is to take some info which can be
validated, such as NSN or CPF, and then validate it to match the
person's name and other info, if available.

To avoid an user changing some internal field, we ought to ask for a
captcha for every change or implement something to ask for it after a
few changes in a row.

The rate limit is not much effective in the sense it won't avoid an
brute force attack in this case, it will just make it slower. The user
would have to be blocked.

The CPF is something which require some brute force technique to be
effective, but everything an user choose to make private, should stay
private. We can't judge every field if they are going to be
environment defined. We can just judge is that it is not impossible
and some admin could make some poor choice.

Sadly, most people would blame the software because it allowed the
dumb admin to make dumb things.

> This is the kind of debate I object to. I call this technical
> intimidation. To dismiss this as bikeshedding is condoning the
> behavior. And it is a pity, because privacy issues a so much
> worthwhile discussing.

Using some term which is taught on a first grade education, such as
"intersection of sets", is that intimidation?

Is using some term like "brute force" or "collision" a technical
intimidation?
Man, are we denied to use some basic terms in a technical list?
The information is public out there.

You may be upset due to dozens of usability issues, but adding
security concerns will make up for that?

Again, if someone doesn't understand something, is that intimidation?