Help on Research

Igor Steinmacher igorsteinmacher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 15:48:23 BRST 2013

Hello

My name is Igor Steinmacher and I am a Research Scholar at University of
California,
Irvine. I am conducting a research aiming at finding how to support new
contributors
during their first steps in the project.  My final goal is to verify what
kind of tooling is
appropriate  to  support  the  newcomers  overcoming  their  difficulties
when  they  are
willing to contribute to the project.

The first step of my research is to find out what are the main obstacles
and difficulties
faced by these newcomers. My goal is to hear from the community itself,
interviewing
new contributors and core members.

By having the information regarding the main problems, I will start
figuring out which
mechanisms  can  be  applied  to  provide  the  support.  I  will  keep
the  anonymity  of
interviewers and I have the commitment to publish/return the results
of myresearch to
the community.

I need your help answering my interview. We will conduct the interviews via
textual
chat, and we can schedule it at the time that fits better for you. Please
send me a private
email if you are interested in supporting my research.

I  also  request  your  help  reaching  out  core contributors  so  that
I  can  gather  the  best
information. The data will help gain insights about newcomer issues, and
allow us to
propose initiatives to alleviate the problems faced by newcomers, as a
tentative to retain
them.

To volunteer you must be 18 years or older, be English speaking, and have
experience
in software development.

Feel free to contact me in case you have any doubt or question
regarding myresearch or
the interview process.

Thanks in advance
--