Georef Database

daniel tygel dtygel at eita.org.br
Mon Jan 27 15:14:28 BRST 2014

I talked about this some years ago: unfortunately, the goenames database
is much poorer than the google maps geocoding, which is also a free API
open for consultation.

The "sniffer" in fbes.org.br was built using the geocoder, and it worked
quite well. The solution we made (as EITA) for localization, which is
already available, checks this API and gives far better results for
lat/lng than geonames. The user don't need to write the whole address.
If he/she gives only the city of zip code, the icon will be close enough
to the target.

So I think it would be better to make the actual localization better
than to use the geonames server. I studied it a lot, and it was really
bad for Brazil (it only worked 100% for USA, and fairly well for Europe,
but was terrible for latin america).

I don't know if our localization solution is already integrated in
noosfero. Maybe Braulio can tell us here. In Cirandas, it's already
working, and the user doesn't need to do anything besides writing freely
his/her address.

daniel