[feature-proposal] Search improvements

Rodrigo Souto rodrigo at colivre.coop.br
Thu Jun 26 12:34:44 BRT 2014

Hello guys,

I'm developing some reasonable improvements to our search feature. Here
is a list of what these improvements are:

   * Smart term suggestions on search query: this feature suggests search
   queries based on previous searched terms, sorting them by a
   composition of occurrences (which also considers newer occurrences
   more important than older ones) and relevance (less results means
   more relevant). This feature also implements hotspots for search
   engine plugins to provide any desired terms instead of the core
   default behavior.

   * Ajax it all: every search operation (pagination, query searching
     and display filters) runs now through ajax, reloading only the
     results.

   * Search asset menu: the search interface now has an asset menu,
     which facilitates the navigation through different types of
     entities (people, communities, contents, etc).

   * Default global search to contents search: due to our database
     relational design, searching on multiple entities is always
     painful. So instead of having the global search, which was a
     bottleneck of performance, I changed the default search to go to
     the contents search. This change comes specially nice with the
     backup of the asset menu. P.S.: the index and category_index
     actions are still available although are no longer recommended.

More information and a demo video can be found on:
http://noosfero.org/Development/ActionItem3142

--
Rodrigo Souto <rodrigo at colivre.coop.br> :: 55 71 8131-7714
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres