Brace yourselves, Rails 3 is coming

Rodrigo Souto rodrigo at colivre.coop.br
Tue May 13 11:26:58 BRT 2014

Hello everyone,

After a lot of work and suffering we are finally moving on towards
rails3. Although we planned on fully integrating last release 0.47.0
with the rails3 branch (by fully integrating I mean review all the code
and test every feature), we decided to skip that step and push through
this migration. The reason why we decided to do this is because we
already have a working quick-start script and chroot ready for rails3
development and every second that passes we increase the chances of
loosing this state and get far away again from the migration.

Today I'm making some final adjustments with the merge of the current
master branch into rails3 branch and I'll merge rails3 branch back to
the master probably tomorrow, if not tonight.

Now a quick FAQ:

"Is the code fully functional?"
No, it probably has tons of bugs.

"Are the tests passing?"
Not necessarily, I'll try to fix most of them (since I doing the merge
and therefore know what is breaking part of them), but there may be
tests failing.

"Can I use this branch on production?"
Definitely not. This branch is highly unstable and I dare quote
debian's description of their experimental branch for this branch of
ours: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental#Introduction

"How can I set up my development environment?"
I strongly recommend the use of a chroot. For that purpose we built a
chroot with noosfero already set up with rails3: http://noosfero.org/Development/Schroot

"When will we have another stable release?"
We're planning on releasing it sometime over July, but this is
completely bound to our ability to fixes the problems we're yet to
discover.

"Is noosfero at least starting?"
Yes! That's why we consider it a good time to move on.

Untio tomorrow!

--
Rodrigo Souto <rodrigo at colivre.coop.br> :: 55 71 8131-7714
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres