Fwd: Sinatra 2.0 pre-release, plus DHH on picking good names in code

Bráulio Bhavamitra brauliobo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:00:44 BRT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ruby Weekly <rw at peterc.org>
Date: Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Subject: Sinatra 2.0 pre-release, plus DHH on picking good names in code
To: <brauliobo at gmail.com>

This week's Ruby and Rails news
Read this e-mail on the Web
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=7ade4d6064&e=e94a93aae6>
Ruby Weekly
Issue 312 — August 25, 2016

Zachary Scott
Sinatra 2.0 Pre-Release: What's New and What's Next
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=845d9e074a&e=e94a93aae6>
Sinatra has released the first pre-release of 2.0. Here, you’re invited to
give it a try, and also see what’s new and different. Note that it only
supports Rack 2.x and Ruby 2.2 and above.

David Heinemeier Hansson
Hunting for Great Names in Programming
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d604e038ce&e=e94a93aae6>
DHH walks us through his process in driving out a name for a class and
method. A lesson in one of the hard things in programming.

Jacob Gillespie
A Tale of Replacing React with Rails
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=1f80c4fc13&e=e94a93aae6>
The journey of a developer who moved a React-powered app to Rails including
why he decided to do it and how it worked out.

Reinteractive  Sponsored
Fixed Price Ruby on Rails Ops? Seriously?
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=431045069e&e=e94a93aae6>
Yes! 24/7 dedicated support for your app from less than $1 per hour. Take
advantage of the performance enhancing tools for your Rails app on one of
the world's most robust and stable Operations as a Service platforms,
OpsCare®.

[image: Reinteractive]
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=ec19bbe810&e=e94a93aae6>
Tom Dalling
The Pure Function As An Object (PFAAO) Pattern
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=372aac6957&e=e94a93aae6>
A look at driving out a JSON-to-XML converter implementation using
functional techniques, such as pure functions and memoization.

Fabien Loup
Journey of a Trailblazer
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=6d7415178c&e=e94a93aae6>
A 2 part adventure of using Trailblazer (an alternative structure for Rails
apps) to refactor an existing Rails application. Part 2 here.
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=652f4ae1d6&e=e94a93aae6>

Noah Gibbs
ABProf: An Accurate Statistical Profiling Harness
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=7cfda59f0e&e=e94a93aae6>
ABProf is a tool to compare which of two programs is faster. Noah Gibbs
gives some examples and use cases of the tool.

Brian Shirai
Rubinius Takes The Fun(ction) Out of Ruby
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d5eb7e80b5&e=e94a93aae6>
The how and why of Rubinius adding first-class support for functions,
including why other implementations should consider doing the same.

Ruby Book Club
The Ruby Book Club Chats with Sandi Metz & Katrina Owen
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=531ff274cd&e=e94a93aae6>
Not just a good episode on its own, but Ruby Book Club is an interesting
weekly podcast where Nadia Odunayo and Saron Yitbarek read and discuss a
different Ruby book.

Jobs

   - Sr. JavaScript / Ruby Developer
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=52f501dbf4&e=e94a93aae6>Sticker
   Mule is looking for passionate engineers to join our remote team. Come help
   us build the best e-commerce experience using Ruby, Rails, React, Node,
   Docker and more. Sticker Mule
   - Ruby Developer- Brentwood, TN (on-site)
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=7338127c62&e=e94a93aae6>Would
   you enjoy building websites and digital experiences in Ruby on Rails that
   reach millions of people with a positive message every day? We are looking
   for talented Ruby developers who want to do work that matters!  Ramsey
   Solutions
   - Lead Instructor - New York Code Design Academy (NYC | Seattle | Austin
   | Atlanta | Amsterdam)
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=fb540df0dd&e=e94a93aae6>Looking
   for a change of pace from the daily dev grind? Teaching web development
   professionals since 2012, The New York Code + Design Academy are seeking
   new instructors. We look forward to hearing from you. NYCDA
   - Find Your Perfect Company Match
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=0fa1a6d584&e=e94a93aae6>You're
   smart, you're efficient. Why job hunt the old way? Try Hired and get your
   profile in front of thousands of top tech companies. Hired.com

In brief

   - Rails 5 Trims Session Storage by Discarding Some Flash Messages
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=37534ddb0c&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Abhishek Jain
   - HashiCorp Decommissioning its Otto Deployment Tool
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=6f806e36b7&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Plans to open source it.
   Mitchell Hashimoto
   - Help JRuby Write Tests, Get a Sticker
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=668a7267ef&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Charles Nutter has tweeted that anyone submitting a PR for ‘needs tests’
   JRuby issues will get a sticker.
   Charles Nutter
   - Free eBook: Working with Docker Machine, Compose and Swarm
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=55165fab8f&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   In this free eBook, we introduce Docker Machine, Swarm, and Compose, and
   describe how they are packaged into what's called the Docker Toolbox.
   Codeship   Sponsored
   - Managing and Modelling Recurring Events in Rails
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=9d8fd3fb74&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Nithin Bekal
   - Approaches to Application Control Flow in Ruby
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=76cb3378ea&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   A look at various approaches to controlling application flow, from
   exceptions to monads.
   Kamil Lelonek
   - Creating Staging and Other Environments in Rails
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=ee1cfc76fe&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Josef Strzibny
   - A 1588x Speed Increase With Solr
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=7abf2bb4df&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Using Solr and Sunspot to cache expensive calculations.
   Nathaniel Rowe
   - How to Tame Your Growing Users Table
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=47402a7c88&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Greg Navis
   - Customize the Mac OS X Menu Bar with BitBar and Ruby
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=a6ae0cb626&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   A free tool that allows you to customize your OS X toolbar and for which
   you can write a plugin in Ruby, as here.
   Richard Guay
   - Using 'git bisect' to Debug Regressions within the Rails Codebase
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=fe3d471a7b&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Prakash Murthy
   - Generating PDFs from HTML in Rails
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=863b241854&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Pedro Alonso
   - Create a Ruby Slack Bot to Interact with Your Wiki
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=f4a346e3e6&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   How to write your own Wiki-editing Slack bot using Ruby and Sinatra.
   Ardian Haxha
   - How We Make Software: A New Theory of Teams
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=4be554a3f0&e=e94a93aae6>
    video
   Sarah Mei challenges our concept of software ‘teams’ and presents a new
   metaphor for our craft.
   Sarah Mei
   - Find and Fix Ruby Errors Faster (and have fun doing it)
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=dcf339d160&e=e94a93aae6>
    tools
   Quickly pinpoint what’s broken and why. Get the context and insights to
   defeat all Ruby errors.
   ROLLBAR   Sponsored
   - Doctor: An Open Source Documentation Server
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=28108c1816&e=e94a93aae6>
    tools
   Deepa Mahalingam
   - Rubrowser: A Ruby Code Dependency Graph Interactive Visualizer
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=a520d3f68f&e=e94a93aae6>
    tools
   Analyzes a Ruby (or Rails) project and displays dependency information
   as a directed force graph using D3.
   Emad Elsaid
   - A Ruby API Client for Medium, the Publishing Platform
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=aa182bc061&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Ben Pickles
   - attribute-depends-calculator: Calculate Values from Child Objects
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=947d075718&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Calculate values for a parent from its dependent objects, such as total
   price for an order from its order items. Sum, average, count, and more are
   available.
   Jason Hou

Curated by Peter Cooper
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=06d5b69734&e=e94a93aae6>
and published by Cooper Press
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=42da0471c4&e=e94a93aae6>
.
Send feedback by simply replying to this mail.
Want to sponsor an issue? See our media kit.
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=a6cd3a963f&e=e94a93aae6>
Want to post a job? E-mail us or use our self-serve system.
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=776bc2defd&e=e94a93aae6>

Unsubscribe
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d9d24eba5b&e=e94a93aae6&c=3799d18ad9>
: Change email address
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/profile?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d9d24eba5b&e=e94a93aae6>
: Read this issue on the Web
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=112d229bd6&e=e94a93aae6>

© Cooper Press Ltd. Office 30, Lincoln Way, Louth, LN11 0LS, UK
Email policy
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=b8e8a7cf13&e=e94a93aae6>
Privacy
policy