Fwd: This week's Ruby news, issue 287

Bráulio Bhavamitra brauliobo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:11:25 BRT 2016

loaded with cool things, I liked
- dhh controllers
- versioned migrations in rails 5
- turbolinks vs virtualdom

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ruby Weekly <rw at peterc.org>
Date: Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 2:27 PM
Subject: This week's Ruby news, issue 287
To: <brauliobo at gmail.com>

This week's Ruby and Rails news
Read this e-mail on the Web
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=b17bf3d19d&e=e94a93aae6>
Ruby Weekly
Issue 287 — March 3, 2016

Jerome Dalbert
How DHH Organizes His Rails Controllers
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=8ac15c248f&e=e94a93aae6>
Paraphrasing: “Whenever I have the inclination I want to add a method on a
controller that’s not part of the default REST actions, I make a new
controller.”

Timcraft
How to Access Amazon DynamoDB with Ruby
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=b228150d47&e=e94a93aae6>
A guide to accessing Amazon DynamoDB
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=94484ad12b&e=e94a93aae6>
(AWS's NoSQL database service) with the official Ruby AWS SDK, including
setting up credentials, creating tables, and adding, fetching and writing
items.

Riding Rails
Rails 4.2.5.2, 4.1.14.2 and 3.2.22.2 Released
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=48ba85aac2&e=e94a93aae6>
They contain some important security fixes, so you’re encouraged to upgrade
ASAP if you’re on 4.2, 4.1, or 3.2.

StatusPage.io  Sponsored
“Building our own status page was a great idea!” - no one ever
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=bfac5bf657&e=e94a93aae6>
StatusPage.io is the best way to build a status page for your app or
website. We help companies communicate to keep their customers and/or
internal teams in the loop during downtime.

[image: StatusPage.io]
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=b7c4d22cda&e=e94a93aae6>
Alexander Dymo
Is Ruby 2.3 Faster?
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=2590a3f5ca&e=e94a93aae6>
Alex concludes his Ruby 2.3 performance blog post series by concluding
(spoiler) that 2.3 isn’t significantly faster overall, but there is an
improvement.

Molybdenum
Reality: Elegantly Access Knowledge from Wikipedia
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=ef4d3035c0&e=e94a93aae6>
It queries Wikipedia and grabs the data found on numerous ‘real world’
concepts. You can do things like Entity('Titanic (1997 film)').actors, for
example.

Ross Kaffenberger
Understanding Thread Pool: A Key Concurrency Abstraction
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=c3dd860145&e=e94a93aae6>
Many popular gems use the concept of “pooling” to manage expensive
resources. This post looks at why thread pools are useful and how to
implement one yourself.

Jobs

   - Rails Developer (Remote - US/UK/CAN)
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=522ef499bd&e=e94a93aae6>Compose
   provides powerful, managed, auto-scaling databases. If you love making
   beautiful, functional things and want to have some fun, we'd love to see
   what you can cook up for us. Compose, an IBM company
   - Senior Rails Developer (f/m) at sum.cumo.
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=386eb479e1&e=e94a93aae6>We
   are a team of experienced internet enthusiasts creating innovative software
   solutions for our new and long-term customers. From small startups to big
   enterprise groups - we are their "business-digitizer". SUM.CUMO GMBH
   - Get 10 offers from top tech companies in one week.
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=270829050c&e=e94a93aae6>Indeed
   Prime is an elite new program from Indeed.com that presents in-demand tech
   talent like you to top employers. Indeed Prime opens the door to exciting
   career opportunities with one simple application. Join today.
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=ba7800b2c7&e=e94a93aae6>
    Indeed.com

In brief

   - Rails 4.2.6.rc1 and 4.1.15.rc1 Released
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=0a73691f2e&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Finals due this Friday.
   Rafael Franca
   - Passenger 5.0.26: Concurrency, WebSockets and SELinux Improvements
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=e4edb3b235&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Phusion
   - Rails 5 Improves 'redirect_to :back' With New 'redirect_back' Method
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=c0bbca2e11&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Indeed, redirect_to :back is deprecated in Rails 5.0.
   Abhishek Jain
   - Migrations Are Versioned in Rails 5
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=cc43c25b50&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Abhishek Jain
   - [CVE-2016-2098] Possible Remote Code Execution Vulnerability in Action
   Pack
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=cf02ff3b68&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Rafael França
   - Route exception notifications to DataDog, PagerDuty, OpsGenie and
   Victorops
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=3d7c97dda7&e=e94a93aae6>
    news
   Honeybadger just launched several new integrations that make it easier
   than ever to integrate exception monitoring into your ops workflow.
   Honeybadger.io   Sponsored
   - Five Practices for Robust Ruby on Rails Applications
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=58b450352b&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Reasonably minor syntax things, but they can have a real impact.
   Philippe Creux
   - Using AWS’s (Ruby) SDK
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=fcebeccf71&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   A practical look at some of the issues involved.
   Payam Moghaddam
   - Clean Up Your RSpec 'rails_helper' File
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=a496b26a4d&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Jordan Maguire
   - How to Run Ruby Scripts On AWS Lambda using Ansible
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=4464a06023&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Manuel Meurer
   - How To Automatically Change Port If Default Is In Use With Guard And
   Rails
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=b7f65d00ce&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Weston Ganger
   - Code Ruby Like You Build Lego [infodeck]
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=a9b3be6f70&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Some very well designed slides.
   Benjamin Roth
   - Experimenting with Explicit Contracts with Ruby
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d29a7d6d3b&e=e94a93aae6>
    tutorial
   Lucas Mazza
   - Turbolinks vs the Virtual DOM
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=4353f2df7c&e=e94a93aae6>
    opinion
   Jamie Gaskins
   - Spreadsheet Architect: Convert Ruby Objects to Spreadsheets
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=892abe58ea&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Turns any Activerecord relation or plain Ruby class object into an XLSX,
   ODS, or CSV spreadsheet.
   Weston Ganger
   - AcornCache: A Ruby HTTP Proxying Library
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=e6b826d05f&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Lightweight, configurable and can be integrated with any Rack-based web
   application. Lets you improve page load times and lighten the load using an
   in-memory cache.
   Vincent J. DeVendra
   - mrusty: mruby Safe Bindings for Rust
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d14d29aeea&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Lets you reflect Rust structs and enums in mruby (the lightweight,
   embeddable Ruby interpreter) and run them.
   Anima
   - Put This in Your Code to Debug Anything Simply
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=5da9bb8c0e&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Khaja Minhajuddin
   - Unicode::DisplayWidth: Monospace Unicode Character Width in Ruby
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=7fb1669c66&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Determines the monospace display width of a string in Ruby.
   Jan Lelis
   - Adding A Very Simple Audit Log to Your Rails App
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=46eb1e86e2&e=e94a93aae6>
    code
   Gist of a module you can use in a before_action on sensitive controllers
   for which you’d like a usage audit trail.
   Adam Derewecki
   - Download free eBook: Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
   with Docker
   <http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=b6f14b598d&e=e94a93aae6>

   Learn how to deliver reliable software faster with a Continuous Delivery
   Pipeline using Docker and containers in this free e-book.
   Codeship   Sponsored

Curated by Peter Cooper
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=6af40ceace&e=e94a93aae6>
and published by Cooper Press
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=28f9e33f00&e=e94a93aae6>
.
Send feedback by simply replying to this mail.
Want to sponsor an issue? See our media kit.
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=562ffad170&e=e94a93aae6>
Want to post a job? E-mail us or use our self-serve system.
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=cc043b3a1f&e=e94a93aae6>

Unsubscribe
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d9d24eba5b&e=e94a93aae6&c=49aaaa0273>
: Change email address
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/profile?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=d9d24eba5b&e=e94a93aae6>
: Read this issue on the Web
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=548bd26230&e=e94a93aae6>

© Cooper Press Ltd. Office 30, Lincoln Way, Louth, LN11 0LS, UK
Email policy
<http://rubyweekly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0618f6a79d6bb9675f313ceb2&id=77dae7b070&e=e94a93aae6>
Privacy
policy