[PSL-Brasil] uPad e Ubuntu Tunity: Os mistérios da Canonical foram desvendados

Paulo Pastore pfpastore em gmail.com
Quarta Janeiro 2 12:22:14 BRST 2013

Canonical to Announce “Next Generation” Cross-Platform Ubuntu?
Published on January 1st, 2013
Written by: Christopher Tozzi
Next
Skip to Responses
Prev
Canonical claims to be readying an “earth-shattering announcement” on the
first day of business in 2013 –January 2, that is. What can we expect next
from the company behind the widely popular Ubuntu Linux distribution? Read
on for some wild, yet informed, speculation.

In a note sent this week to the press, Canonical announced that it is:

“kicking off the New Year with a bang, and launching a brand new Ubuntu
product. We’ll be holding an exclusive event hosted by Mark Shuttleworth,
founder of the Ubuntu project, to give full details of what we believe is
the next generation of cross platform operating system.”

The message provided no further information regarding the nature of the new
product Canonical intends to unveil at the event, scheduled for January 2.
But if the company’s recent activities over the past year are any
indication, there’s a decent chance it will involve mobile devices. After
working hard to tweak Ubuntu to run on Google’s Nexus 7 tablet, Ubuntu
developers may be ready to announce a version of the operating system that
truly bridges desktop and mobile computing.

On the other hand, however, a major leap in mobile computing for Canonical
seems a bit unlikely. As of now, there has been no public indication that
Ubuntu actually works on mobile devices other than the Nexus 7, and even on
that platform bugs are still being ironed out. If Shuttleworth unveils a
major new mobile product next week, it will be a big surprise indeed.

Meanwhile, the cloud is another obvious area in which Canonical might
conceivably be planning to introduce the Next Big Thing. Along with
third-party projects like OpenStack and Canonical’s own cloud orchestration
tools, Ubuntu already provides the basis for a pretty comprehensive cloud
platform. But maybe Canonical is ready to unveil something even more novel
in this domain, though it’s hard to imagine what else the company could add
to its already extensive cloud lineup.

Ubuntu TV?
Putting aside the speculation above, my best guess is that the January 2
announcement will involve neither phones, nor the cloud, but rather TVs.
About a year ago, Canonical began discussing visions for powering smart TVs
with Ubuntu. So far, those promises — unlike the ambitious goals that the
company set for Ubuntu and mobile devices around the same time — have shown
little sign of becoming reality, beyond some proof-of-concept
demonstrations. I wouldn’t be surprised, then, if the “next
generation…cross platform operating system” to which Canonical’s message
alluded will center around a widely available release of Ubuntu TV, and/or
major partnerships to bring what Canonical has already created in this
realm to the masses.

But this, of course, is merely a guess. Shuttleworth may well astound us
all by announcing something totally unexpected next week — like Ubuntu for
your car, your toaster, your spaceship or what have you. Or the cryptic
message released this week could turn out to be mere hype, with no
incredibly extraordinary announcement forthcoming. We’ll stay tuned, and
welcome your thoughts in the meantime on what Canonical might have up its
sleeve for the new year

http://www.thevarguy.com/2013/01/01/canonical-to-announce-next-generation-cross-platform-ubuntu/

“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative
altruism or the darkness of destructive selfishness. This is the judgment.
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for
others? “

Martin Luther King Jr

>>> 2003 Fundador/Coordenador-Adjunto da ASL.Org [http://www.asl.org.br/]