[PSL-Brasil] SecureDrop and Alexandre Oliva are 2016 Free Software Awards winners

fabianne balvedi fabs em estudiolivre.org
Domingo Março 26 08:23:03 BRT 2017

Parabéns, Oliva!!! Prêmio mais que merecido! =D

https://www.fsf.org/news/securedrop-and-alexandre-oliva-are-2016-free-software-awards-winners
SecureDrop and Alexandre Oliva are 2016 Free Software Awards winners
by Free Software Foundation <https://www.fsf.org/author/fsfweb> — Published
on Mar 25, 2017 07:11 PM
BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Saturday, March 25, 2017 -- The Free Software
Foundation (FSF) today announced the winners of the 2016 Free Software
Awards at a ceremony held during the LibrePlanet 2017 conference at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). FSF President Richard M.
Stallman presented the Award for the Advancement of Free Software and the
Award for Projects of Social Benefit.

The Award for Projects of Social Benefit
<https://www.fsf.org/awards/sb-award/> is presented to a project or team
responsible for applying free software, or the ideas of the free software
movement, to intentionally and significantly benefit society. This award
stresses the use of free software in service to humanity.

This year, SecureDrop <https://securedrop.org/> received the award, which
was accepted by Conor Schaefer, Senior DevOps engineer for Freedom of the
Press Foundation.

SecureDrop is an anonymous whistleblowing platform used by major news
organizations and maintained by Freedom of the Press Foundation
<https://freedom.press/>. Originally written by the late Aaron Swartz with
assistance from Kevin Poulsen and James Dolan, the free software platform
was designed to facilitate private and anonymous conversations and secure
document transfer between journalists and sensitive sources. It has been
used in newsrooms across the world, including *the Intercept*, *Associated
Press*, *the Washington Post*, *the Guardian*, *ProPublica*, and *the New
Yorker*.

In his speech, Stallman emphasized the importance of whistleblowers in the
maintenance of a free society. "[SecureDrop] provides a necessary channel
for whistleblowers to communicate through."

"At Freedom of the Press Foundation, we believe strongly that an obstinate
and cantankerous press is fundamental to keeping populations informed and
empowered," Schaefer said when accepting the award. "Secure and anonymous
communication is more important today than ever before, and is vital for
protecting high-risk individuals such as investigative journalists and
their confidential sources.

"SecureDrop is one way we try to tackle that problem, by defending the
right of the press to inform the public. The project is the result of hard
work by security engineers and contributors in the free software community.
Under the hood, it's a medley of free software tools, and could not exist
without the vibrant free software movement to depend on.

"On behalf of Freedom of the Press Foundation, thank you, to everyone in
the free software community, to those brave enough to fight to inform the
public, and to the Free Software Foundation in particular. It's a privilege
to work with you all. Keep fighting the good fight, we're right there with
you."

The Award for the Advancement of Free Software
<https://www.fsf.org/awards/fs-award> goes to an individual who has made a
great contribution to the progress and development of free software,
through activities that accord with the spirit of free software.

This year, it was presented to Alexandre Oliva
<https://www.fsfla.org/%7Elxoliva/>. An advocate of free software and the
GNU Project, Oliva's impact has been felt far beyond his home in Brazil,
from giving talks about free software to his role as maintainer of
linux-libre, the fully free version of the kernel Linux. A leader in the
robust Latin American free software community, he started a project to
reverse engineer the proprietary software used by Brazilian citizens to
submit their taxes to the government, giving people there the opportunity
to complete this interaction almost entirely with free software, and
offering inspiration (and free code) for those wanting to tackle this
common issue elsewhere.

Stallman said that he is "especially impressed with [Oliva's] project
Softwares Impostos. His project provides a free replacement for proprietary
software required by the [Brazilian] government to submit taxes." Stallman
praised the efficacy of Oliva's work and the dedication it showed to
creating and maintaining software that has significant impact while
respecting user freedoms. "In many years, he had his updates ready before
the official software came out."

"I first met Richard 21 years ago," Oliva said. "That defined the rest of
my life. I've shared his message—our message—since then and now I think I
know that I've been doing it right."