Important: proposal of an open and virtual discussion on Webservices, Ontologies and Linked Open Data for NOOSFERO

Daniel Tygel dtygel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 13:34:28 BRT 2012

Hi all,

   I got surprised to see this section in noosfero website:
http://noosfero.org/Development/InfrastructureSolutions

  In this page, there is a section "FORMATs", which have confusingly
formats AND an ontology (FOAF) as if it were a format in itself.

  We really need to discuss this, urgently, so that Noosfero can be able
to become structured and provide structured information. I see that
Josef made a merge request of a webservices API ability. How is that
related to this "infrascructure->formats" section?

  Just to give you an example: We're building an international
Solidarity Economy Ontology. For that, an international consortium is
building the controlled vocabularies on products&services, Qualifiers,
Activity Sectors, and Macro Themes. After having defined a first version
of these standards, we're going to start in the second semester to
develop the "ecology" of ontologies which will make up the Solidarity
Economy Ontology (it will have parts of the FOAF, the ORG, the
GoodRelation, etc).

    Cirandas is part of the global initiative (it's called ESSglobal),
but unfortunately it has not exported a single data because noosfero is
unstructured. The global map of Solidarity Economy Enterprises takes the
brazilian infos from www.fbes.org.br/farejador , and not from
cirandas/noosfero!

    So providing Linked Open Data, Webservices, and structured
information (ontologies) based on RDF, SKOSS, Json or any other format
is crucial for the future not only of cirandas but of noosfero.

    Not only for ontologies and semantics, but also for providing the
means for developpers to create gadgets, apps and other softwares that
can interact with noosfero implementations.

    Could we have a virtual meeting to discuss that? Please, let's not
provide "ad hoc" solutions without considering very well this universe
and having a well planned roadmap in this important field.

          Thanks,

                   daniel