Important: proposal of an open and virtual discussion on Webservices, Ontologies and Linked Open Data for NOOSFERO

Antonio Terceiro terceiro at colivre.coop.br
Thu Jul 26 13:51:20 BRT 2012

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your intiative of raising this discussion, it is very
important!

Daniel Tygel escreveu isso aí:
> Hi all,
>
>    I got surprised to see this section in noosfero website:
> http://noosfero.org/Development/InfrastructureSolutions
>
>   In this page, there is a section "FORMATs", which have confusingly
> formats AND an ontology (FOAF) as if it were a format in itself.
>
>   We really need to discuss this, urgently, so that Noosfero can be able
> to become structured and provide structured information. I see that
> Josef made a merge request of a webservices API ability. How is that
> related to this "infrascructure->formats" section?

These pages are an uncoordinated initiative of whoever wrote them, and
their existance does not mean there is any actual effort on
implementations. The website is a wiki, and anyone can go there and
write about anything.

[...]
>     Could we have a virtual meeting to discuss that?

Absolutely; I think the mailing list is the ideal place for such debate,
since it does not imply specific places or time. Can you organize this
discussion? But please, choose *one* mailing list to do that, because it
is not viable to reply to everything in two languages.

>Please, let's not provide "ad hoc" solutions without considering very
>well this universe and having a well planned roadmap in this important
>field.

About that, I don't think it's realistic to expect that all effort has
to be democratically and exhaustively discussed by everyone that might
be interested.

In the end, what counts is working code; having independent
implementations is inevitable because the effort of accommodating the
requirements of an arbitrary number of actors before having running
implementations is not viable. The solution, or solutions that can be
better adaptable for a higher number of use cases will naturally prevail
in the end, and I don't think we can predict which one will be.

This does not invalidate the utility of the debate, but I don't have
expectations for a global articulation in favor of a universal solution
that that will fulfill everyone's requirements.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro at colivre.coop.br>
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres