code reviewers and testers

Antonio Terceiro terceiro at colivre.coop.br
Tue Aug 13 10:59:34 BRT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 09:21:02AM -0300, Bráulio Bhavamitra wrote:
> Hello Terceiro,
>
> This was discussed yesterday on the noosfero community meeting. It
> something like the http://noosfero.org/Development/ResponsibleDevelopers.
>
> It was made with improving the release process on the mind.
> We thought in three things:
> 1) Continuous integration for Automated tests: reactivate
> ci.colivre.coop.brand put travis to work in cirandas' code
> 2) Let the community do user tests for each part (feature/plugin/tag) of
> noosfero.
> 3) Make code reviews for each subsystem (feature/plugin) of noosfero.
>
> For 2 and 3, it is good to have a predefined list of assigned and commited
> people. That where the wiki comes. People can self assign them for testing
> and code reviewing by changing these pages.
>
> Then on the right time of the release process these people are called and
> have some time to do their job.
> This call is going to be done only when necessary, that is, when new
> features or code changes were made.
>
> These jobs (user testing and code reviewing) are expensive and
> centralization is not good.

What exactly in my message made you think I am proposing any sort of
centralization?

(I honeslty think that maybe the problem is with me and I am not
communicating in a way that others can understand. Please let me know if
there is anything I can do to communicate in a more understandable way.)

My point is: instead of adding your name to a wiki page, you subscribe
yourself to a mailing list, which will be contacted when necessary.

The place for discussing is on mailing lists, because they are public,
archived and anybody can subscribe. If you are creating lists of
specific people, at some point we will start to have private discussion
and _then_ we will be doing centralization. If the volunteers for doing
code review and testing, you just post code review/testing requests to
such mailing list and people _will_ receive them.

To be clear: I am not saying that what the meeting decided is not good,
I am just suggesting a more sensible way (at least from my POV) to
implement the idea.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro at colivre.coop.br>
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres