Noosfero on Wheezy status

Antonio Terceiro terceiro at colivre.coop.br
Fri Feb 22 08:55:02 BRT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:36:42AM +0100, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Hello Antonio and others,
>
> In recent months there have been several discussions and recipes (on noosfero-
> br, debian-ruby list, websites etc.) on how to run Noosfero on Debian Wheezy.
>
> Can you please give a short summary of the state of porting? In particular,
> there seems to be a differentiation between "just" Wheezy with its default
> Rails version 2.3.14, and Rails 3.x porting.
>
> Given that Wheezy is soon going to be released, my interest is to test-drive a
> Noosfero installation on it. However with a package set like the one from the
> recommended Squeeze installation, minus libgettext-ruby-util which doesn't
> exist anymore, I get the following error message already during the rake calls
> to initialise a simple SQlite database:
>
> undefined method `to_xs' for class `String'
>
> (Noosfero from master)

My plans for Wheezy are to move away from Ruby 1.8 and Rails 2.3, so the
port goal is to make Noosfero work on Wheezy with Rails 3 (rails3
package) and Ruby 1.9 (the default in Wheezy). I would also like to move
from thin to unicorn as well.

The port is ongoing in the *rails3* branch, and at this point it already
starts (the home page works) with these two simple steps:

$ ./script/quick-start # setup
$ ./script/development # starts the server

There is a still of issues that we still have to fix, and we are
listing them in the MIGRATION_ISSUES file. Once we have it running and
with all tests passing, I will work on Debian packaging issues.

Rafael from USP is helping with this, but more hands are always welcome.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro at colivre.coop.br>
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres