Upgrade to 0.44.1 broke our site

Antonio Terceiro terceiro at colivre.coop.br
Mon Jul 29 19:56:07 BRT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 08:16:07PM -0300, Ewout ter Haar wrote:
> I think the root cause of my disappointed and probably too exalted
> tone is a mismatch of expectations. I expected the packaged debian
> version of noosfero (on the next to last stable debian platform, which
> people use for its reputation to be rock-solid), to be rock-solid. I
> expected to be able to do apt-get upgrade at any time. But now I
> understand  that is not how Colivre sees it.

That was not what I said and you should not take this conclusion.
Colivre is deeply concerned about the quality of Noosfero releases.

We do realize that this release was particularly problematic and we are
working on a proposal for changing the release process to increase the
amount of testing that a release gets before we call it a release.

What I said is that problems happen, and when they do happen we have to
deal them without pointing fingers. Bashing Colivre does not help.

[...]
> So fine, I will re-align my expectations. I won´t upgrade until
> someone says it is ok. Still, I think is surprising that the noosfero
> package on debian-stable is not stable. I understand it would cost
> more in human resources, but shouldn't we have  a noosfero package in
> testing, and one in stable?

Note that Noosfero is *for* Debian stable, not *in* Debian stable. That
makes a big difference.

Noosfero does get new features, and occasionally new bugs as well.

> >> Am I missing something?
> >
> > You are missing to realize that problems might happen, and when they do
> > happen, pointing fingers in what is in my opinion a disrespectful way
> > ("WTF, Colivre?", "Terceiro has some explaining to do") does not help
> > to solve the problem.
>
> Yeah, the first one is just internet slang, and the second one was a
> reference to the earlier debian/apt vs bundle discussion. Anyway, I'm
> sorry to have sound angry. But I must admit to be irritated, first
> because of my expectations not being met and second because Colivre
> did not speak up. But sure, I understand that the first is a problem
> with my expectations, and the second is probably due to time
> pressures.

As you already realized "Colivre did not speak up" is an exaggeration.
There was a little more than 24h between your first message in this
thread and my response. A mailing list is not a 24h support channel, and
you cannot assume "did not speak up" so fast.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro at colivre.coop.br>
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres