Upgrade to 0.44.1 broke our site

Bráulio Bhavamitra braulio at eita.org.br
Fri Jul 26 05:11:36 BRT 2013

Em 25/07/2013 19:18, "Antonio Terceiro" <terceiro at colivre.coop.br> escreveu:

> [...]
> production system? Guess what, it works! :-)
>
> If you were to assume that the upstream Noosfero QA process is 100%
> effective, you would not have a test system. It's good that you know
> better than that.
>
> > > About the escaped html, I still don't get the problem. It seems that
the
> > > debian rails has a different behaviour than the official rails
(2.3.15), the
> > > one used in cirandas.
> >
> > I think Terceiro has some explaining to do. As I understand it, his
> > argument for using the debian rails and debian package management
> > system is so that administrators can use their debian managements
> > skills to mantain their sites. Well, it seems that reality is
> > different: twice now an apt-get upgrade broke my site: first when the
> > debian rails became incompatible with the debian noosfero (a few
> > months ago) and now because the debian noosfero (stable!) just broke
> > for some reason.
>
> First, let's recap what broke and made you so angry:
>
> 1) a crash caused by a bug that didn't happen in the environment of the
> author of the code
>
> We could have had a closer look and spotted the problem before releasing
> the code? Yes, we could. But no process is perfect, this one just
> slipped.
>
> *This has nothing to do* with which version of Rails is being used or
> where it came from.
>
> 2) a crash caused by a bug in 2 plugins
>
> As above, this has nothing to do with which Rails version is being used
> or where it come from.
>
> 3) escaped HTML in a blog. Did it work OK before? Is it a regression?
> There was some work on performance issues that touched the blog, that
> might have caused a regression.
>
> Now this has something to do with the Rails version. As we already found
> out, there are some differences in the behavior of Debian Rails
> 2.3.5+security patches and the Upstream Rails 2.3.15, specially with
> regard to handling the potentially unsafe HTML. We have been working
> hard to fix all the problems caused by this, while also trying to
> advance to Rails 3. I still believe using APT for managing dependencies
> is a good thing, but well, nothing comes with no disadvantages.
>
> I just pushed a fix for the escaped HTML problem. It will be released
> with 0.44.2.
>
> By the way, none of these problems were introduced by 0.44.1, a
> maintenance release. All of them were introduced between 0.43.0 and
> 0.44.0, a version with new features, in which one has to expect some
> bugs as well. That's just a fact of life; that's why we have test
> systems.
>
> > Am I missing something?
>
> You are missing to realize that problems might happen, and when they do
> happen, pointing fingers in what is in my opinion a disrespectful way
> ("WTF, Colivre?", "Terceiro has some explaining to do") does not help
Well, this is related to the ownership and how decisions are made in
noosfero.

Noosfero is owned and managed by one organization, Colivre. So problems are
directed to this organization.
In other free software that dont rely on one organization the resposability
is left to the community and related developers.

The debian rails problem is mainly related to you as you maintain the
package.
This and many other topics are directly related to you. Other noosfero
developers don't even say their opinion.

So I kind of understand when Colivre and you are directly called when
something breaks.

Best regards,
Braulio