Transifex strips fuzzy translations

Rodrigo Souto rodrigo at colivre.coop.br
Thu Feb 13 22:09:18 BRST 2014

Hello everybody,

We decided to give it a try on transifex as a translation management
service and, from my point of view, it fulfils our demands which are not
that big. But I came into a problem. I discovered that transifex strips
the fuzzy translations from the po. I did a small research and found no
way around to avoid this. Some people argue that fuzzy translations
help the translators with close translations to the real one, others
that it misleads the translators into assume wrong contexts and so on.

I don't have an strong opinion about that, what I know is that it can't
be both. Maintaining two independent versions of each po file of each
language and merging them all in the end is unfeasible. So we probably
need to choose between a complete translation infra with no "fuzzies" or
a plain-text translation infra with them (unless anyone finds a way to
avoid the fuzzy striping on transifex).

What do you think?

--
Rodrigo Souto <rodrigo at colivre.coop.br> :: 55 71 8131-7714
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres