0.46.2 Released

Ewout ter Haar ewout at usp.br
Thu Mar 20 11:27:18 BRT 2014

What happened was that a migration choked on our data, which then halted
the installation process and prevented the Noosfero service to be started.

I made 2 mistakes before I typed apt-get upgrade in our server:
  1. I did not test the upgrade on our homologation instance (which has
similar data as the production site).
  2. I did it without consulting other knowledgeable people involved in the
project.

Can we improve the installation process to be more fool-proof? Let's think
about the following suggestions:

1. Should it be possible to downgrade to the previous version after an
incident like this? apt-get install noosfero=0.46.1 did not work (although
the package is still there in /var/cache/apt/archive). But maybe after a
botched migration it really should not be possible? But that means that the
admin is left without a site. Is there a way to force the downgrade?

2. If I had known (I should have informed myself better) that there were
migrations involved, I would have hesitated. Maybe the package can be
configured to issue a warning (like the MTA warning) if there will be
migrations and ask for confirmation. In that way, a simple bug-fix release
could be distinguished from one where there are irreversible migrations.

(Speaking of dialogues during the installation: it is pretty unnerving that
one slip of the finger can wipe out the whole production database during
the upgrade: as I understand it, that dialogue asks me to "Wipe your
database? Yes/No". )

Ewout