Rails 3 Migration

Rodrigo Souto rodrigo at colivre.coop.br
Thu Mar 20 19:11:01 BRT 2014

Hello everyone,

It's being a while since we first started the efforts to migrate
noosfero to rails3 and these long run is finally getting to an end.
With tremendous help from Serpro's dev team, we have a "stable" branch
with the 0.46.0 release running with rails3/ruby1.9.3. Considering how
close we are from finally leap out from rails 2.3.5, we decided that
it's about time to make the shift.

Therefore, together with 0.47.0 freeze, we're also freezing the master
branch, which will remain freezed until the last efforts are done to
integrate 0.47.0 changes into the rails3 branch. After that, rails3
branch will become the master branch.

Since this is a very deep change, we expect to have some trouble until
we stabilize again so the next release will have a bigger window of
development, 4 months at least, being released only when we consider it
indeed safe to move on.

When we make the change, we'll share chroots, documentation and whatever
else may be necessary to help everyone, developers and instance
maintainers, to migrate their own environments. But even without any
documentation you should be able to have a running development setup
just by runninb './script/quick-start' on a debian wheezy machine with
the rails3 branch.

The merge requests already made towards rails2 will be reviewed by us on
rails3 branch although there might be more complex cases where
we'll ask the developer to update his code. If you want to do it
yourself, fell free to do so, it'll make your code be reviewed much
faster. If you are already developing a new feature and you haven't done
your merge-request already, please start to adapt it to rails3 branch.

This is going to be a tough transition but I think we'll be able to have
a smooth sailing if we work together as a community.

That's all!  o/

--
Rodrigo Souto <rodrigo at colivre.coop.br> :: 55 71 8131-7714
Colivre - Cooperativa de Tecnologias Livres